Thanks to some dead Roman guy (kidding, I know who he is) today is the feast of love. Valentine’s day! Buy yourself some chocolate and flowers. According to legend that dead Roman guy (okay, it’s St. Valentine) healed his jailer’s daughter and before dying slipped her a note signed ‘Your Valentine’. Kind of creepy.
His hagiography (saintly biography) also says that the reason he was initially imprisoned was for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry. That’s just one version, of course. There are actually a number of ‘St. Valentine’s’ connected to Valentine’s Day. People love martyrs, ya know?
In some exciting news, I launched my Project 1948 Fundraiser for Photographers Without Borders today! I’ve been reading a lot about the region and preparing for my upcoming work with them in May. If you’re able, I’d for you to donate. Even $2 or $5 adds up!
Here are your Sunday Sundries:
- Less creepy than St. Valentine are these origami hearts! I’ve been making boatloads in between watching reruns of the X-Files on Netflix and crushing on Dana Scully who is my dream best friend.
- A lot of movie romance doesn’t hold up in real life.
- Also been reading this sad story about how Valentine’s Day is inadvertently causing deaths in Cambodia.
- Please excuse me while I remove all my lithium ion batteries.
- Preparing for my imminent (holy shit, 40 days!) departure to Great Britain.
- The closest you’ll ever come to being in Van Gogh’s head.
- Learning these niche cultural TV show references should make me very popular in the U.K.
- This woman crashed her own funeral after her husband tried to have her killed. Yeah. She has been through way more than Tom Sawyer.
- Go easy on yourself. You’re doing okay.
- One of the obscure references the X-Files makes me Wikipedia.
- This guy is changing the literary scene.
- Speaking of literary, new Harry Potter books are on the way. JUST IN CASE YOU HADN’T HEARD! I’m over the moon about this! I was so disappointed that I likely won’t be able to see the play in London, so this makes me extremely happy. To be clear, it’s the script for the play they’re publishing, not another actual novel.
- How English sounds to non-English people.
- Your horoscope via David Bowie.
- Eat sushi with strangers in Japan? That would make my day, thanks.
- Especially after I watch this most excellent short history of Japan:
Give yourself nothing but loving thoughts today (and okay, chocolate or flowers or whatever is your treat). You are awesome and brave and I hope you have a great day.