Hello my lovelies! I hope everything is going well for you. I’ve been running around a lot this week doing interviews for some radio projects as well as preparing to take off for England in less than three weeks! These days I’m powered mostly by this roasted gyokuro tea from Kagoshima.
Since I’ll be moving to the UK for a short while I’ve also been brainstorming stories to do for the blog while I’m there. Also, if anyone reading this is in the UK and wants to shoot together, whether for collaboration or hire please give me a shout! I would love to do some portrait sessions in London.
- You may know Shel Silverstein’s charming kids poems, but have you read any of his long-form adult poetry for Penthouse?
- Trying to separate the dangers of traveling, emotionally and statistically.
- This article about a Megabus catching fire encourages me to keep all my most important items on me in case I need to evacuate the bus.
- The Globe did a fantastic piece on the problem of human trafficking in Canada and how it disproportionately affects indigenous women.
- And the Oscar for most badass goes to Jenny Beavan, who said ‘fuck you’ to Hollywood’s ballgown standards as she strolled down the aisle to accept her Oscar for best costume designer for Mad Max: Fury Road. This was also shortly after Stephen Fry jokingly called her a bag lady as he presented her with a screen actors guild award, which she was not upset about because they’re buds. I love this woman. Because she does her work awesome and she don’t give a fuck. You keep rocking, Jenny Beavan, and I think the world will be okay.
- Somehow the founder of Instagram met with the Pope.
- How k-pop stars were saved by the paparazzi.
- Meryl Streep as a pizza.
- How cyberstalkers get away with harassment.
- How many major world cities have you visited?
- Way better than celebrity gossip: learn about the woman lawyer who divorces the rich and famous.
- Different photographers, different points of view.
- Off the Great Wall’s YouTube channel has some fun videos. Check out Asian Habits Westerners Might Not Understand and 5 Ways Social Media is Ruining Our Lives.
- How Twitter has become like a creepy park.
- The Radio Atlas is cool people doing cool stuff with audio.
- The realities of Japan’s dual-income generation.
- And what we’ve all been waiting for: the story behind where your bento box sushi grass comes from.
This week I also posted about how Canadians can get their UK youth mobility visa (a thinly veiled cry of ‘joooooin meeeeee‘). Will you be in the UK between March 27 and May 7? If so, give a shout and maybe we can get coffee (or tea, let’s be real Britain)! I also had a great pre-departure interview with Photographers Without Borders that I think I did not too badly with so I gave myself a pat on the back for that.