I think we all know it was a hard week. A week where star men died and wands were raised in recognition of the loss of two men who were great both in artistry or empathy. I see this having never known or met either of them, but from the anecdotes of those who were close to them and from enjoying their art, it’s an assumption I feel comfortable making.
On top of that, we got a surprise load of snow here in Halifax yesterday night, which is incidentally why this post is late. I was helping to shovel the driveway so my future husband (must practice saying that) can escape for work later.
Here are your Sunday Sundries.
- The last job Alan Rickman did was with this tortoise.
- This David Bowie tribute constellation.
- Also, Bowie was like a librarian with a sex drive. Which is the sexiest thing I didn’t realize about him.
- He also called out MTV on their colour politics back in the day.
- So, pizza boxes might be deadly? (I have a feeling no one will be deterred)
- Elena Ferrante’s Naples series of novels is given some geopolitical background.
- This morbid piece about what can happen if you win big bucks in the lottery.
- How NYT travel choses their 2016 destinations.
- Lena Dunham and Hamish Bowles are adorable in this short video.
- The intriguing history of Soviet bone music.
- If you need a giggle about Canada.
- The Akrasia effect is not just a cool-sounding thing, it’s why we don’t follow through on our goals.
- Do the genres on Netflix ever seem oddly specific to you?
- The bread in Star Wars: The Force Awakens was real!
- I just discovered NYT Food and I need someone to make this clementine cake and bulgogi sloppy joe immediately.
- 10 Lessons in Failure from 10 Digital Nomads (and hey, I know a couple of them!)
- Penis fashion photography… maybe I should change careers.
- The Ottawa Citizen did a masterful forecast earlier this week.
- Moss girls in Japan and moss viewing is becoming a thing.
- Read the news on the dark web.
- Why nothing else resembles English.
- And we have so many misused words.
- #BIGBLOCKOFCHEESEDAY for all my West Wing fans.
- The science of stale coffee is a perfect discussion piece for office banter.
That’s it for this week. Let’s hope this week coming has less death, less snow and more clementine cake and bulgogi sloppy joes. All the best and good luck to you in your corner of the world!