I had the great fortune of spending this weekend in the company of Applehead Studio while sitting in on their East Coast Survival Guide workshop for photographers. I met some great people, had some great soup (thanks Jen!) and got some great ideas for ways to improve the photography side of my business. Great weekend.
While the workshop was going on, I got to sneak out to interview and photograph some local Halifax Jugger players. Never heard of jugger? Boy, are you in for a treat. It’s kind of like rugby or football, but played with medieval weapons. I’ll post the link to Soundcloud once my piece airs on CKDU!
On to the cool stuff du jour:
- I haven’t read it yet, but I’m excited to read Divided Sisters by Midge Wilson & Kathy Russell, a book on interracial female friendship.
- Roxane Gay’s investigation of competitive Scrabble made me laugh.
- Do you miss our disappearing smells?
- Publications struggled to get the facts right after the Halifax explosion in 1917.
- Advice for freelance creatives, why getting paid with stuff instead of money is like a one-night stand.
- Pitch, pitch, pitch. If I’ve gotten one thing out of my time at j-school so far, it’s just that. Pitch your ideas, and pitch them like they’re good ideas. This girl has nominated November as pitch your heart out month.
- Kristin Beck used to be a member of Seal Team 6. This is the story of her transition.
- I’ve been watching a lot of Frontline documentaries lately.
- IKEA is making refugee shelters.
- Liam opened the Applehead workshop with this video that uses a speech from philosopher Alan Watts. I think it’s really important, so I’m going to re-post it here.
And that’s it everyone!
I hope you have a great week. What are people up to? Anything you’re looking forward to? Anything you’re dreading? Are you going somewhere? Taking a trip? Is something happening to you? I hope you’re doing well. And if you’re not doing well, I hope you find a way to get through it.
All the best.