Sorry I’m late with this post today.
I was too busy binge-watching Marvel’s Jessica Jones on Netflix.
Whole-lee-shit. It was fantastic. I can’t wait until my fiancé decides to watch it so that I can watch it all over again.
I won’t go on too much, but there are so many good things in this series. Characters with depth, an ex-superhero-heroine who is so real, and written/acted so well that she’s actually believable, and a narrative that’s all about a woman taking back control from an abusive antagonist who is creepy and scary as all heck.
I’m going to call it: Jessica Jones is my favourite series of the year.
Now, on to the reading bit:
- I never knew Japan had huge sand dunes. It’s Tattoine! Wait… no. Just Tottori.
- Suicide clusters at Palo Alto high schools make us question the cost of achievement expectations.
- This story makes you hate this rich guy who took advantage of his maid.
- Good doctors might actually be bad for you. Super interesting research.
- Did you know there’s a super-corporation who owns 80% of all eyewear production? It’s largely their fault that glasses are so expensive. They have almost no real competitors.
- What are humans? NASA picked these images to share with aliens.
- Ansel Adams’ photographs of daily life inside an American concentration camp.
- Do you know that shivery feeling you sometimes get when you’re being examined, or having your hair cut, or getting a massage? Turns out, it has a name. Also, search ASMR on Youtube and you’ll find a bunch of videos designed to trigger it.
- Top 10 Works of Journalism in the last decade might be worth a read.
- Watching this confrontation between the media and students at Mizzou a couple weeks ago had me sick to my stomach. Now the professor antagonizing the photojournalist has come under fire.
- This article about stories from women in Syria is some of the best reporting I’ve read from Syria yet.
- If you’re a geek like me, you’ll enjoy this map of all the underwater cables that connect the internet.
- Last night I interviewed poet Kaitlyn Boulding whose work recently appeared in GUTS magazine. We had a great talk and I’m excited for it to go on the radio on Tuesday! You can tune in at CKDU 88.1FM. Our Radio Room show starts at 5pm.
That’s it! Have a wonderful Sunday night. I’ll see you back on the battlefield tomorrow morning.