2014 was interesting. At times weird and full of thai express; at times wonderful and full of buddhists breakfasts; at times frustrating as hell and full of mediocre leftovers.
It was a big year for growth. There was a lot of self-reflection and thinking about what I want my life to look like. This meant a lot of thinking in the vein of Uncle Ben from Spiderman, “these are the years when a [wo]man changes into the [wo]man [s]he’s going to be for the rest of h[er] life”. Too bad Uncle Ben never took a gender studies class. It would’ve saved me a lot of square brackets.
Highlights of 2014:
- Visiting new cities (New York, Washington, Seoul, Suncheon, Mokpo, Jeju Island);
- Attending Blogcademy and realizing that unicorns are real. That you can be a total boss entrepreneur thanks to the magical internet.
- Being promoted at my job (woo!), as well as becoming the in-house photographer;
- Spending the night at a Buddhist temple dressed in monk’s clothes;
- Travelling through South Korea with great friends (who kept their cool when I left my cell phone/wallet in a taxi);
- Volunteering as a photographer for TEDx, Lawn Summer Nights, and Me to We;
- Meeting Margaret Atwood *** (she’s real!);
- Getting involved with Ladies Learning Code (I mentored at the Photoshop class, attended National Learn to Code Day, and taught the Girls Learning Code Holiday Image Editing and Animation workshop). Their WordPress workshop is coming up in January;
- Doing The Colo(u)r Run in P.E.I.
- No longer ripping my nails (miraculous).
- Taking more photos and writing more words than the year before.
I’m not a fan of the New Year’s Resolution. I think we should always be trying to better ourselves, no matter what time of year. I did get drunk and make one on NYE out of cultural necessity. This was one that I had been trying to do anyway, so I like to think it wasn’t just the cocktails and anthropological pressure that made me resolution-ize it:
Give More Gifts.
Presents for all! Here are some other things I’m looking forward to doing in 2015:
- Going to the Women in Travel Summit, (“WITS”) in Boston in March. There are going to be some really awesome travel bloggers there. I’m pretty nervous and excited.
- More travel! Near and far. I got a tent for Christmas and it needs wearing out.
- More blog posts! (Trying to get better with daily writing practice).
- Making how-to-do-photo-stuff blog posts.
- Running my first half-marathon (Registration is paid so I can’t back out now).
- Printing more photos for my own home (I always print them for other people).
- Checking out every new day in my Poladarium calendar.
- Practicing dem languages. (Duolingo recently added Dutch to their array of languages for native English speakers to learn. Het is geweldig. Mijn Opa is from Holland and I’ve been trying for ages to find an easy way to pick up Dutch on the side with very little time to actually devote to it. Duolingo is absolutely perfect for that – I play it in the morning on the ferry on the way to work and I’m noticing huge results).
- Drinking lots of tea.
- Taking more photos. Trying new techniques. Trying to get better.
- Maybe finally buying snow pants?
What are you looking forward to for 2015?